Friday, January 2, 2009

That's the way to ring in a New Year!

By and large New Year's celebrations are grossly overrated.  I mean, let's be honest, we basically pick a date to close businesses so everyone can head to the bar, pub, tavern, watering hold, etc. to get hammered and play with things that blow up aka fireworks.  Now that's smart.

I am much more of a relax with friends and family (but still play with the things that blow up!) kind of guy for New Year's.  Jamie, the boys, and I did just that Wednesday night.  The boys rode 4-wheelers and we all sat by the bonfire and hung out.  Perfect way to spend New Year's Eve - good friends and family.

Then on New Year's Day a few of my friends (Mann, Damien, and Brian) and I hit the trails at Choctaw Lake for a long run.  We meet at the trailhead around 6:30 a.m. and got started close to 7:00.  Mann and Damien planned to run 20ish and Brian and I hoped to get in 25 or so.  We had a great run.  The weather was perfect, awe inspiring.  It was 25-29 degrees when we started with a slight breeze but warmed up into the 40's by the time we finished.  

We left Choctaw Lake and hit the Beaver Lodge Trail over to the North Trail by way of Lost Cemetery Road.  We followed the North Trail and ultimately took Charlotte's Web to the cemetery.  After a brief re-fueling we began the trek back taking the Sheepranch Trail to Rockcrusher Road and back to Lost Cemetery Road.  Lost Cemetery Road was wet.  At this point we are at about mile 18-19 and I have thus far remained dry, including my feet.  Unfortunately that streak came to end as both of my feet sank into the cold, muddy holes on the trail.

We made it back to the lake for what was 21-22 miles.  Brian and I couldn't stop long or that would be the end of our day.  So we said our goodbyes and took off around the lake toward the trails on the other side.  We ultimately ran what was basically Mann's 10K course in the Choctaw Lake race, so we added around 5.5 - 6 miles giving us 27-28 miles for the day.

I have posted about these trails before, but they really are fantastic.  Charlotte Fuquay does an excellent job keeping these trails in great shape.  We got lots of good ups and downs.  All four of us are running Mountain Mist in a few weeks so we need the trail time.  I am not in great shape but hopefully this training run gave me the "oomph" to get through the race, even if slower than I would like.

Now, this is the way to ring in  New Year!

No comments: