Monday, January 12, 2009

Running and crashing . . .

I needed one more long trail run this past weekend in preparation for Mountain Mist 50K.  Brian and I agreed to again meet at 6:00 a.m. and ride to the trails together.  Indeed, we met at 6:00 and in the dark and rain, we ventured toward the trailhead.  

Unfortunately about a mile or two south of town a deer decided he did not particularly care for the west side of Highway 25 and would much prefer the east side.  I have no problem with that decision; however, admittedly I wish he had decided to cross at pretty much any other time than the time he did.  Instead he crossed at the exact moment that my truck was traveling south at about 65 - 70 mph.  Brian and I both saw the deer a fraction of a second before impact.  Nothing we could do, other than hold on.  Fortunately I didn't swerve or slam on my brakes.  I tapped the brakes slightly and collided with the deer on the front left corner of my truck, which wouldn't have been so bad; however, it spun the deer around and into the driver's door.  Now the driver's door will not close all the way and will need to be replaced entirely.  Excellent.

What is even better is that Jamie recently hit a tree at our church in her car.  So now, I get to visit with the local body shop and try to cut some type of two-for-one deal.  Perfect.  

On a positive note, Brian and I decided there was really nothing we could do at 6:15 a.m. on the side of the road in the rain, so we went ahead and got our run in.  Did a nice 21-22 miles.  It was incredibly humid and took a lot out of us.  The temperature was 60-65 most of the run.  I felt pretty good most of the run although I am still fighting some cramping issues in my lower quads.  I suspect it was the humidity and being a little low on sodium.   I had much rather it be 25 degrees with lower humidity than 60 with high humidity.   

Now to the body shop . . .

No comments: