Sunday, November 29, 2009

Egg Bowl 2009




Wow. Not sure anyone saw that coming, or at least not in that way. But the bottom line is the Dawgs absolutely trucked the Rebs in the 2nd half. It was complete and total domination, every bit as dominating a half as the Rebels put on the Dawgs a year ago.

The offensive philosophy was fairly vanilla in the 2nd half, run it, run it, run it, run it, mix in a pass, run it, run it, mix in a pass, etc. And it flat worked. The energy was electric. The place was rockin' in the 3rd and 4th quarters, especially for an 11:21 a.m. game. Chris Relf played mistake free ball and ran the read option well. Boobie (Anthony Dixon) ran hard as usual. After having just 17 yards in the first half, he ended the game with 133, all but certainly locking up the Conerly Trophy.

And yes, if you think you saw me in the middle of the pile with Corey Broomfield after his 65 yard pick six, you did. I got destroyed. While I was congratulating Broom on the pick a solid 10+ guys jumped on. My sunglasses went flying, piece by piece. It was all I could do to stay upright. I tried gently reminding them that I'm not quite 5' 10" and oh by the way, I don't have pads on. But to be honest, it was worth it. It was an incredible moment.

The defense played well, limiting arguably the most exciting player in the league, Dexter McCluster. He had a couple of big plays, but he was never allowed to establish the 6, 7, 8 yards per carry that he had done the last several games.

So, for 365 days, the Dawgs are kings of the state.

Go Dawgs!

No comments: